Military Women Programme
Women Veterans: Equally valued. Equally qualified. Equally served.
Research has shown that female veterans face more barriers to employment than male veterans. Military women often step off their career pathway to accommodate changes in their personal circumstances. They also encounter challenges common among many working women including greater childcare and caring responsibilities.
In 2019 only 8% of RFEA clients were female compared to 92% male. Thanks to the introduction of the Military Women Programme, by 2021 this increased to 10%.
RFEA’s Military Women Programme aims to increase the engagement of women in the veterans’ community and help them equip themselves with job-seeking skills and knowledge and access Forces-friendly employers. As a female veteran, military spouse and mother herself, our dedicated Advisor can truly empathise to provide appropriate support.
Statistics show women are often over-skilled and underused, under-promoted and under-paid. They also experience barriers that stem from being a minority in male-dominated professions.
The Military Women Programme helps Ex-Forces personnel gain meaningful occupation in a range of sectors and positions, including entry-level jobs, managerial positions, self-employment and specialist roles. It supports women looking to extend their career with a range of services including:
- Help writing a CV
- Support with interview skills
- Access to skills training
- Motivation and self belief coaching and mentoring
- Advice on college courses, training and apprenticeships
- Confidence building activities
- Creating links to specialist support from Armed Forces and civilian charities
A connection to the military community creates a number of qualities that businesses need including resilience, the ability to adapt and a proactive attitude and leverages our corporate partnerships and relationships to promote candidates with these skills and talents to the companies that are looking for them.
My Advisor has helped me rediscover my worth again professionally. I felt at ease immediately and our first contact phone call lasted for over an hour. By the end of the call I was in no doubt I had made the right choice by enquiring about the Military Women Programme. My Advisor has the ability to connect with you in a way no pure civvy advisor ever could, part big sister, part friend, part comrade, she will help you see your value and give you the mentorship to realise your skillset. I thoroughly recommend RFEA to any ex-Servicewoman and hope this programme grows and continues to help out the female veteran.Claire Gratton, ex-RAF
RFEA offers a number of other specialist programmes including:
- RFEA’s Families Programme, employment support to spouses and partners of serving and ex-service personnel
- Forces for London, employment support specifically to Ex-Forces personnel living in London
- Specialist Vocational Advice, tailored advice to those who may be experiencing a number of challenges including debt, housing related issues or physical or mental health requirements
- EM3 Veterans and Families Programme, support to veterans, their partners and spouses, and children, as part of plans to lead economic recovery in the M3 region
Our Military Women programme is available to female veterans who have already left HM Armed Forces and is funded by the Call of Duty Endowment.
If you would like to be part of this growing network and have access to this high level of support and job opportunities, contact us or register with us today.